Tuesday, July 27, 2021

And... Home

Maumee, OH to home in Oneonta - 534 miles, about 9 hours.

I was actually in Maumee, a suburb of Toledo, last night, not Toledo itself, which is some way down the Maumee River from the turnpike.  And I'm not at Bucknell tonight because of a massive failure of the primary means of paying for hotels - the hotels.com gift card.  See the previous post for details.

After another bloody-egg sunrise, I enjoyed the contrast in city silhouettes.  Almost immediately after getting on I-90, I crossed the Maumee River.  You can look straight downstream (north) from both the I-90 bridge and the Amtrak bridge, and see the Toledo skyline, which looks like it's surrounded by forest and gives the impression of being a few buildings in a big park.  I also had the same hazy, silhouette view of Toledo and Cleveland as I had of Chicago yesterday, but today's cities looked like paper cutouts of a stylized city out of the late 19th century, rather than a ravenous sea monster.  Very staid buildings of medium height, with symmetrically stepped terraces and old-fashioned, ornamental spires.  And once again I got around Cleveland and looked back at it in the sun, and it still looked old-fashioned and respectable.

I was sorry to leave the land of 70+ mph speed limits in Pennsylvania, especially since I had over 250 miles to go.

I know I've said this before, but I-86 in western NY is a beautiful ride, especially on a beautiful day.  But man, is it loooooong.

And then, almost before I knew it, I was home.  


No comments:

Post a Comment