Thursday, July 22, 2021

Route

The plan is to get around these annoying lakes, find Duluth, and head west on US Rt. 2,  which runs through the upper midwest, never straying very far from the Canadian border (except to do an end run around Glacier National Park).  The upper midwest has been conspicuously absent from every trip we've taken (except for Glacier) and I want to poke around and see what it's like.

Although Rt. 2 - which starts in Boston - goes all the way to the Pacific Ocean, I'm only going as far as Spokane, in eastern Washington. There we will intersect US Rt. 395, a road I've wanted to take, in as near its entirety as possible, for a long time.  It wanders down through eastern Washington and Oregon, down to Reno, NV, and continues south, passing very close to, but hundreds of feet lower than, Lake Tahoe, before it snugs up against the east face of the Sierra Mountains, and follows them down to the Mojave Desert.  I've traveled a couple snippets of this part of 395, and now I'm going to do the whole thing, at least as far south as Mojave (the town).

Then I'll take a breath, look around and see if I have any time left.  If I do - who knows?

So that's the plan.  Up across the Saginaw Bridge to the Upper Peninsula tomorrow, and then west to Duluth.  Anyone know why I might want to take a short side trip to Hibbing, MN?  Hint:  Not Roger Maris.

1 comment:

  1. So jealous about Glacier National Park - it’s on my list to see sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete